Welcome to North Pole, Alaska!

Monday, February 1, 2010

I've been hit by the baking bug

Well, we will see how long this lasts. I have had the sudden urge to bake about twenty different things! I want to make a pineapple upside down cake, apple cobbler, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, a cheesecake (never made one in my life...yet!), chocolate bread pudding (Sorry I didn't make this one at home dad!), and the list goes on. Once Andrew gets home I am taking the car to the commissary to buy my ingredients...the commissary as odd hours; it is only open from 10 am until 7 pm so it'll be a rush to get there!

Last time I went there, Andrew dropped me off at the door at 7:05 (this was before I noticed the hours) and I kept trying to open the in door but it was locked. I saw people inside so I thought that the door was just jammed so I walked in the exit doors and grabbed a cart and started shopping. Well...two minutes later the manager of the store asked me how I got in and told me that they were closed and just waiting for the people to pay and go. Whoops! He was nice and let me grab eggs, milk, and bread, (seriously! It was funny that I needed the three kitchen staples!) before I had to check out. Now I know!

Tonight I am baking chocolate whoopie pies with peanut butter icing and I am very excited! I've mentioned whoopie pies to about five people and they have no idea what I am talking about (they are from the south mainly). I then give the schpeel about how my ancestors were Lancaster German Mennonites (like they care) and whoopie pies were their specialty! I will give them all a taste of the 30 or so pies I am making tonight! Wish me luck!

Lastly, I will start full-time on Monday being a teaching assistant in a special education classroom. My hours are 8:30 until 4:00 so not bad at all! I can still sleep in until 7 or so and maybe even go the gym with Andrew, maybe! I am anxious to begin working with the teacher and the students. I brought my special education binder from Penn State with me and I've been reviewing it the past couple of days. I already know some of the kids because I have been tutoring them in math, another good thing! All for now, time to unload the dishwasher, make dinner, and be Julie Child (sort of!). Also, Andrew just walked in the door, perfect timing!

No comments:

Post a Comment